Thursday, May 04, 2006

Of Purely Local Concern

My friend Eric Schansberg is running for Congress in the 9th District of Indiana on the Libertarian Party ticket.

Many friends of Dow Blog think it virtually impossible to be a libertarian and a Christian. I have my own doubts about classical liberalism. However, Eric is a man of principled Christian conviction who believes in the limitation of the state not because man is good, but because he is not.

If you are interested in a Christian defense of libertarianism that is a long way from Randian rationalism, please read Eric's books.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem I have with most libertarians is that they don't seem to care what happens, as long as government is not a causative agent.

And many of them favor open borders. Which to me does not make sense, in the 'because he is not' sense.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I am certainly no libertarian and I have a host of problems with them. Indeed, they are generally wrong on the immigration issue and many leading libertarians have been ambivalent, or even cheerleading, the foolish war in Iraq.

It is also clear that libertarianish thinking vis a vis issues like abortion, stem cell, research, etc. have entered the public consciousness

7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home