Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Getting Ready for the Loooonnnggg Haul

The Pentagon is planning to stay in Iraq for ten years, according to a report in Newsweek. Meanwhile, the "American" ambassador to Iraq, Zalmay Khalilzad, said, "We must perhaps reluctantly accept that we have to help this region become a normal region, the way we helped Europe and Asia in another era. Now it's this area from Pakistan to Morocco that we should focus on."

Why are we in the business of reconfiguring an entire portion of the globe? Evidently, the president heard a sermon at some point from Galatians 5 and decided he should be about the business of doing God's will spreading peace, love, joy, democracy, liberty, and freedom--American style.

Speaking to a group of business leaders recently, the theologian-in-chief unbosomed himself with this load of nonsense:

"I base a lot of my foreign policy decisions on some things that I think are true. One, I believe there's an Almighty. And, secondly, I believe one of the great gifts of the Almighty is the desire in everybody's soul, regardless of what you look like or where you live, to be free.

I believe liberty is universal. I believe people want to be free. And I know that democracies do not war with each other."

So God has predestined everyone, universally, to liberty, and George Bush is going to make sure they get it--right at the point of a bayonet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home