Sunday, January 22, 2006

Fun in the Dow Home

A fantastic week at home. Jack (14 months) spent the early part of the week vomiting. By Wednesday, I had flu-like symptoms, which turned out to be strep throat (for the second time since Christmas). Kathy and Josh (3) were vomiting all night Wednesday. Kathy, too, has strep (again) and Josh continued vomiting until Sunday. The little guy was so dehydrated that Kathy had to take him to the hospital Saturday nigh. Andrew (5) seems to be developing a cold--don't worry, he's already passed it to Jack--but has largely been doing fine. As a typical five-year-old, he gets bored. Which also means he wants attention and activity, which is in short supply. Ugh!

On the plus side, I've been able to do a bit of reading. Kathy and I are likely to begin home schooling the kids this fall and we solicited advice from a number of friends in our "real" and "virtual" lives. (As an aside, I have been very grateful for Christian brothers and sisters who have taken time out of their schedules to offer advice, encouragement, curriculum overviews, resource suggestions, etc.) We have also been reading "The Well-Trained Mind" at the suggestion of Izzy and found it to be very helpful. I was also able to track down some decent used books, including Lasch's "Culture of Narcissism" and Rothbard's "The Great Depression" at a used book sale.

Thinking about all the recent unpleasantness and beginning to feel sorry for myself, my mind drifted back to the always entertaining Martin Luther, who said:

Our natural reason looks at marriage and turns up its nose and says, "Alas! Must I rock the baby? wash its diapers? make its bed? smell its stench? stay at nights with it? take care of it when it cries? heal its rashes and sores? and on top of that care for my spouse, provide labor at my trade, take care of this and take care of that? do this and do that? and endure this and endure that? Why should I make such a prisoner of myself?"

What then does Christian faith say to this? It opens its eyes, looks upon all these insignificant, distasteful and despised duties in the spirit, and is aware that they are all adorned with divine approval as with the costliest gold and jewels.
Its says, "O God, I confess I am not worthy to rock that little babe or wash its diapers, or to be entrusted with the care of a child and its mother. How is it that I without any merit have come to this distinction of being certain that I am serving thy creature and thy most precious will? Oh, how gladly will I do so. Though the duty should be even more insignificant and despised, neither frost nor heat, neither drudgery nor labor will distress me for I am certain that it is thus pleasing in thy sight."

1 Comments:

Anonymous mskee said...

1Co 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.


--of course.....

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home