Wednesday, November 30, 2005

A Glimpse Into the Culture of Death

The LA Times ran a story yesterday taking us into the abortuarium of one William Harrison. An OBGYN, Harrison gave up delivering babies in 1991, but stuck to the heart of his practice--killing.

Since 1973, Harrison estimates that he has performed 20,000 "pregnancy terminations." Harrison bluntly calls himself an abortionist and says, "I am destroying life."

At the same time, Harrison assures us that he is assisting these ladies in being "born again." "When you end what the woman considers a disastrous pregnancy, she has literally been given her life back," he says.

Times reporter Stephanie Simon introduces readers to some of the women willing to pony up $750 for Dr. Harrison's services (he's pretty prosperous, huh?), and their stories are heartbreaking and sickening.

One 18-year-old says, "It was a lot easier than I thought it would be." "I thought it would be horrible, but it wasn't. The procedure, that is." She says it would be "unfair" to have a baby and that she would not be able to "provide a good life for my child."

A high school volleyball player says she doesn't want to give up her body for nine months. "I realize just from the first three months how it changes everything," she says.

Another women, a single mom of three, says she could not possibly give her unborn child up for adoption and would wonder if they were loved (!!!). Apparently "ending the pregnancy" is just easier.

Harrison's staff has also posted statistics on the wall that one in four pregnant women chooses abortion, and that one third of all women in the U.S. will have at least one abortion by the time they're 45. The stats help to soothe the consciences of would-be moms who are feeling guilty. The nurse asks rhetorically, "You think there's room in hell for all those women?" Does she really want to know the answer?

But, lest you think Harrison completely amoral, he won't perform third-trimester abortions, which he calls infanticide. Wow, what a guy!

Harrison's use of Christian terminology to defend his barbaric vocation is not new. In the August 2002 Newsletter of the Reproductive Freedom Task Force, Harrison wrote a brief essay called "Why I Provide Abortions." Harrison wrote:

Gynecology was really to be only an appendage to my obstetrical practice and I am sure that providing abortions, even thinking about abortions, would never have been a major part of my life had other physicians in my area continued to provide them as was being done prior to 1984. However, I soon found my practice inundated with abortion patients because other physicians who had also been providing abortions stopped doing so. In late 1983 it suddenly became uncomfortable, and very soon dangerous, to provide abortions. I literally had no option but to make a "Sophie's choice" between delivering babies, which I loved, or making what for me would be an immoral and unethical decision, that is, to choose to abandon those girls, women and families who started coming to my office by the dozens. How could I look my children, my wife, my mother, my friends - myself - in the face and say, "I believe that abortion should be legal, safe, and available. But now some people disapprove and it's become very uncomfortable, perhaps even dangerous, to provide them. And so I am going to stop doing what I know to be absolutely right. When it gets uncomfortable or dangerous, it's OK to say, `not me, coach.'"

Was that the morality that I wanted to demonstrate to my children? To parade in front of my wife, my family and friends?

Not me, coach!

Why do I provide abortions?

Here is the short answer.

Like multitudes before me and, I trust, multitudes to come, I eventually heard (Try as I might to avoid hearing it!) in that mother's grief-filled declaration, "Oh God, Doctor, I was hoping it was cancer", a still, small voice asking, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" to which I was at last compelled to reply, "here am I, send me."


Here this man cites God's call to the prophet Isaiah and compares it to his "calling."

Meanwhile, the savagery continues unabated. Amanda, a 20-year-old office assistant, says that abortion is not "a rare thing," in fact it's "an everyday occurrence." "It's not like it's illegal. It's not like I'm doing anything wrong," she says. "I've been praying a lot and that's been a real source of strength for me. I really believe God has a plan for us all. I have a choice, and that's part of my plan." Yes, God told her to have an abortion. Perhaps while she was praying, it might have been wise to pick up a Bible.

Next we're introduced to Sara, who was in the midst of planning her wedding when she was stricken with pregnancy. "I don't think my dress would have fit with a baby in there," she says.

Closing out the day is a 32-year-old college student named Stephanie. Stephanie has had four abortions in the last 12 years and says abortion is a "bummer, but no big stress."

And Jesus said (Matt. 25:31-46):

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.' Then the righteous will answer him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will answer them, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.' "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.' Then they also will answer, saying, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?' Then he will answer them, saying, 'Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.' And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."