Saturday, April 30, 2005

A Personal Note

Forgive me a few personal thoughts today. I’m generally a very private person, but I understand that blogs are often a place to open oneself to the outside world. Yesterday, Kathy and I celebrated ten years together as husband and wife.

God providentially brought Katherine Dickens into my life on January 31, 1988. I remember the date well, Kathy says, because it happened to be Superbowl XXII—which in case you’ve forgotten was won by the Washington Redskins, who thrashed Denver 42-10.

Kathy insists that I remember such details with specificity because I can recall sporting events from my youth with pinpoint precision. While that is true, I was more stunned by the beautiful blonde girl in my midst then Timmy Smith’s 200+ yards or Doug Williams’ performance.

Being shy, bashful, and generally something of a weenie, I didn’t muster up the courage to ask Kathy for a date. Ultimately, we did begin going out during my senior year in high school, and have been together ever since. I can barely remember what life was like before her.

Do any of you remember that first time you really fell in love? For me, that someone was Kathy. I am lucky in that respect in that I never experienced the strain, pain and difficulty of broken relationships, because I was given a complete woman right from the start.

What is Kathy to me? She is a model of biblical womanhood and virtue. She is my “helpmeet” who has struggled through three pregnancies to birth our beautiful children. As Lois and Eunice were to Timothy, she is a beacon of unswerving faith and devotion to her children and husband. Alongside me she is a trainer of our children, demonstrating God’s love and mercy without ever losing sight of His holiness. She is the keeper and manager of our home, a haven in a heartless world, and is a demonstration of “the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight” (I Peter 3:4).

Marriage and raising children are difficult tasks, which can only be accomplished through much hard work and, ultimately, God’s benevolent grace. The last year particularly has presented numerous challenges and difficulties that we have had to work through. We should not be surprised when two people, even those who have been made holy before God, struggle together, but it is in that very weakness that we are made strong, and melded together as one. Though I am far from a perfect husband, and have much work to do, Kathy is always there to love and care for me, encourage me, and honor me.

I love you, Kathy, and still think you’re the most beautiful lady I know. Here’s to another 50 years together!

2 Comments:

Blogger Chad said...

Darrell, congratulations on ten years of marriage. May God bless you with many more!

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the Dows on ten years of marriage! My very best wishes to both of you.

John Lowell

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home