Saturday, March 05, 2005

Looking For a Church

I would ask friends, well-wishers, and those who stumble by to pray for my family as we seek a new church home. Having three young children and driving a significant distance has become too great a burden, and thus we are looking for a healthy body closer to home. Though we truly love the church we have attended for the last four years, we are no longer able to actively participate fully in the communal life of the church--in short, a physical distance has created a spiritual distance. As the spiritual leader of my home, I have a responsibility under God to remedy the situation post-haste.

Looking for a church presents challenges and opportunities, and I hope to write about some of these concerns in future posts. Anyway, keep Kathy and I, as well as Andrew, Josh and Jack in your prayers. Thanks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Darrell,

I've said a prayer for you and your family as you look for a new church. I've asked that the Lord find precisely the circumstances that are right for you at this time, knowing that He will.

There's an old saw, "life is what happens to you while you are making plans". With that in mind, one observes St. Augustine's view that God achieves His desires in us by presenting the will with objects that entice, thereby never encroaching upon our freedom in Him. I wouldn't count on this teaching meaning quite so literally, "I want this church, therefore, membership is the will of God", however. Knowledge of God is always after the fact in any case. God works His purposes while we work our own. But in some mysterious way, what you want always will get you where you need to be in a quite uncontrived, natural and wholly unexpected way in whatever it may be that God intends.

Yours In The Holy Trinity,

John Lowell

12:01 PM  
Blogger Robert Wright said...

If you like strong biblical teaching, sound doctrine and believe in biblical inerrancy, but wouldn't mind all of that in a slightly more casual environment... this is a great place to worship.

http://www.calvarylouisville.com/

11:41 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

I appreciate the church reference. I'll look into it.

John, thanks for your prayers and for continuing to read my sometimes tedious thoughts. You are an encouragement.

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home